Haltern am See
HALTERN AM SEE
In Blau ein stilisiertes silbernes Halfter mit goldener Schnalle
The arms were officially granted in 1939.
The arms show a halter as a canting symbol. Haltern received city rights around 1300 and the oldest seal dates from the same time. The seal showed the patron saint of Münster, St. Paul, in a Gothic arch. Halter at the time belonged to Münster. Since the late 15th the halter appears as canting arms. In a seal from 1486 the arms are shown with St. Sixtus as a supporter. The H. Pope Sixtus is the patron saint of the local church. All later seals and images show the halter as arms of the city.