Hamilton (New Zealand)
|Heraldry of the World|
|New Zealand heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of New Zealand
Territorial Authority : Hamilton City
The arms were adopted in 1946 in a competition launched by the council.
The wavy bars in the shield represent the Waikato river that runs through the city. The bend with the oxen symbolises the green pastures and the role of the city as a centre of a large agricultural region.
The crown symbolises Hamilton's beginnings as a military post during the Maori War in the 19th century.
The supporters are two pukekos a common bird in the low lying country around the city.
Literature : Information obtained from the Hamilton City Council.