Harburg-Wilhelmsburg

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to: navigation, search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wappen der Welt
Germany.jpg
German heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Germany
Deutsche Wappen
Germany-flag.jpg

  • Total pages in the German section : 18,581

HARBURG-WILHELMSBURG

State : Hamburg
Additions : 1927 Harburg, Wilhelmsburg
Incorporated into : 1937 Hamburg

Arms (crest) of Harburg-Wilhelmsburg

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms for the new city were adopted in 1931. The arms are based on the medieval seals of Harburg, which already showed a city gate with a lion. The lion is the lion of the Welfen dynasty, who ruled both towns in medieval times. The two fleur-de-lis are derived from the arms of Countess von Wilhelmsburg Eleonore d'Olbreuse, wife of Duke Georg Wilhelm of Celle (1665-1705, from the Welfen dynasty).


Literature : Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s; background from Carsten Möller (http://www.fremo.org)

Germany.jpg