Hausberge (Porta Westfalica)
HAUSBERGE (AN DER PORTA)
The arms were granted in 1939 and show the arms of the prince-bishops of Minden (keys) and the eagle wing taken from the arms of the Lords of Berg. The town was a stronghold of the prince-bishops, but was not founded by them. +
The oldest seals of the town show the patron saint, St. Walburgis dressed as a nun, sitting on a throne and standing before her a small shield with the two crossed keys. This composition was also used informally as arms for the town, but in 1939 it was seen as inappropriate to use religious symbols on coats of arms hence the above arms were designed.
The arms of the Lords of Berg, who lived in the Schalksburg castle in town until 1398 never appeared in the seals of the town.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink