|Heraldry of the World |
|Finnish heraldry portal|
Punaisessa kentässä alainen, alapuoleltaan kaarikoroinen hopeahirsi, jonka päällä kävelee kultainen ilves, varukset siniset, korvatöyhdöt mustat.
The arms were granted on November 11, 1958.
The arms are a combination of the old provincial arms (lynx) and the bridge over the Jyränkö river built in 1932.
Heinola (city rights 1839) already received arms in July 1842. Those arms also showed the lynx and in a chief the town's initial and the date 1843. These arms have been in use until the Finnish independence.
The arms of 1842
Proposals for the 1842 arms
A bit later, in 1861, new arms were proposed showing two wavy pales symbolising the Kiumeni river. And in a free canton the provincial arms of Mikkeli province, to which the area belonged at the time.
The proposed arms of 1861
The arms on a road sign
Literature: Pirinen, 1982
Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby, which takes a lot of time and effort (and costs).
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Please visit our partners (click on image):
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink, 216 p; www.heraldicum.ru