Hibernian Football Club
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB
The arms were officially granted in 2001.
The harp and colours are for Ireland where the club’s founders migrated from to Edinburgh. The club was formed in 1875. The sailing ship is based on the coat of arms of the Port of Leith where Hibernian now play their home games. The castle is based on the coat of arms of Edinburgh.
The chevron signifies both Arthur’s Seat, the volcanic hill which dominates Edinburgh and overshadows Easter Road Stadium, the base of the club. It also signifies the slope which the playing surface at Easter Road used to be infamous for until it was levelled around 2000.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : The Court of the Lord Lyon Facebook page; background from Tom Willis