|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
HILDESHEIM (HI) (1946-1977 HILDESHEIM-MARIENBURG)
The arms were granted on August 1, 1979.
The eagle in the arms is derived from the arms of the city of Hildesheim. The deer antler is derived from the arms of the former Alfeld district. The rose is a symbol for the nature in the district. The colours are derived from the arms of the Hildesheim State.
The previous arms were granted on October 10, 1946.
The arms show in the first and fourth quarter the arms of the former monastery-state of Hildesheim, which owned the larger part of the county. The St. Hubertus deer represents the many woods in the county. The castle in the lower part of the arms symbolises the Marienburg.
The great arms of the district show a helmet on the shield, with as a crest a St. Hubertus deer and the shield surrounded by gold and green oak leaves.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.