|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1952.
The district choose to use no historical symbols in the arms, but adopted an old oak tree. The tree symbolises the Rheinhardswald, an old forest in the district, in which many trees have bizarre shapes. The H. Bonifacius visited the forest in 723 and cut down the holy Donar-oak. He thus started Christianity in the area. The Reinhardswald belongs to Hofgeismar since 1463. The colours are taken from the lion of Hessen.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.