|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Niedersachsen
The arms were granted on July 24, 1950.
The arms show the lion of the Counts of Everstein, who ruled the area and founded the city of Holzminden in the 14th century. Some parts of the district belonged until 1409 to the Lords of Homburg. From the end of the 13th century the Dukes of Braunschweig gradually acquired the whole district, but their arms (also a lion) were not included in the arms. The wavy bar shows the Weser river.
See also the arms of Hameln-Pyrmont.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.