|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on July 14, 1961.
The arms are a combination of four arms of former rulers in the area. The first quarter shows the arms of the Counts of Homburg, who were the most influential in the county from 1100-1450. The second quarter shows the arms of the Counts of Zweibrücken, who had some important rights until 1394. The third quarter represents the Hornbach Abbey, which owned much of the land. The fourth quarter shows the eagle from the arms of the Counts of Saarwerder, another part of the county.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.