|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In schwarzem Feld zwei gekreuzte silberne Schlüssel mit abwärts gekehrtem Bart, überhöht von einem goldenen Kreuz.
The oldest seal of the village is known from 1470-1488, but probably a bit older. It already shows the two crossed keys and the cross. A second seal, from 1691, shows the same composition.
The crossed keys are the symbol of St. Peter, patron saint of the Prince-Bishopric (State) of Worms and were used by the Cathedral Chapter of Worms. The village historically belonged partially or fully to the State of Worms until 1803 and the priest was appointed by the Cathedral Chapter.
The crossed keys are either a symbol for the Cathedral Chapter, or for the local church, dedicated to the Holy Cross.
Literature : Hessisches Wappenbuch - Ortswappen, 1956.