|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
Ilowa (then Halbau) received city rights in 1679 and was sold in 1682 to Count Balthasar von Promnitz. The arrow and the stars in the arms are derived from his personal arms. The dog is also derived from the family arms, as the family received the right to use a dog in its crest in 1652 when the family was promoted to the rank of Count.
The arms already appear on the oldest known seal of the city, known since the late 17th century. The arms thus as such have not changed since, although in the 19th century the dog often was replaced by a lion.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925