State : Bayern
District (Kreis) : Neu-Ulm (until 1973 Illertissen)
Additions : 1971 Betlinshausen; 1978 Au, Jedesheim, Tiefenbach
In Rot ein aufrecht stehender goldener Löwe, überdeckt von einem schwarzen, mit drei silbernen Großbuchstaben P belegten Balken.
These arms are the second arms of the city; in 1488 the first arms were granted. These showed a female Moor's head, taken from the arms of the Counts of Kirchberg, with a mitre on the head and a leaf in her hand. The arms did not last long, as already in 1530 the present arms were used, which were officially granted on March 3, 1953.
The arms are based on the arms of the Von Frickenhausen family. The letters (with unknown origin) appear in 1814. It has been speculated that the arms mean either "Pugnamus pro Pace" or "Pugnamus pro Pope", meaning "we fight for peace", or "we fight for the pope". From 1757-1954 the bar was blue, the colour of Bayern.
The arms in Kramer (1841)
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The municipal stamp shown in an album
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Hupp, O: Kaffee Hag albums, 1920s