Country : Germany
State : Niedersachsen
District (Kreis) : Neu-Ulm
(until 1973 Illertissen)
|German||In Rot ein aufrecht stehender goldener Löwe, überdeckt von einem schwarzen, mit drei silbernen Großbuchstaben P belegten Balken.|
These arms are the second arms of the city; in 1488 the first arms were granted. These showed a female Moor's head, taken from the arms of the Counts of Kirchberg, with a mitre on the head and a leaf in her hand. The arms did not last long, as already in 1530 the present arms were used, which were officially granted on March 3, 1953.
The arms are based on the arms of the Von Frickenhausen family. The letters (with unknown origin) appear in 1814. It has been speculated that the arms mean either "Pugnamus pro Pace" or "Pugnamus pro Pope", meaning "we fight for peace", or "we fight for the pope". From 1757-1954 the bar was blue, the colour of Bayern.
The municipal stamp shown in an album
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Selected collector's items from Germany:
Contact and Support
- Your logo here ? Contact us !
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site