|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on July 20, 1976.
Isselburg received city rights in 1441 and was an important border fortress. The arms are based on the old seals of the city, known since 1505. All seals show the tower behind the wall, but the size and shape of the tower has differed widely during the centuries. The colours and the two wall anchors are derived from the arms of the Lords of Anholt (or Zuylen) who ruled the area in medieval times.
Previously the city used different arms, but based on the same composition, see below. These arms were granted in 1912.
In the early 20th century the arms below were shown in the Kaffee Hag albums. These arms show the same composition, but in different colours.