|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted on March 4, 1963.
The arms were designed and adopted by the municipality already in 1935. Previsously the village used a canting house on its seal.
The arms are based on the famous 15th century knight Götz von Berlichingen, who was born in the village in 1480. His 'iron hand' (a iron-based working hand prosthesis) was famous at the time. He lost his hand in a battle in 1503.
The base shows a wheel, taken from the arms of the Von Berlichingen family.
Literature : Bardua, 1987