Jedburgh

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

JEDBURGH

Incorporated into : 1975 Roxburgh (1996 Scottish Borders)

Burgh

Arms (crest) of Jedburgh

Official blazon

Gules, on a horse saliant Argent, furnished Azure, a chevalier armed at all points, grasping in his right hand a kind of lance (called the Jedburgh Staff) Proper.

The Motto in an Escrol is "Strenue et Prospere".

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted in 1680 without the motto, and again on March 5, 1956.

Jedburgh has certainly been a Royal Burgh from between 1159 and 1165, and thus probably a creation of King Malcolm IV or King William the Lion.

The arms were the subject of dispute between the Town Council and Lord Lyon Erskine. From about 1650, the Burgh had used a seal which showed "a unicorn trippant or passant", but Lord Lyon Erskine apparently regarded this as an improper use of part of the Royal arms and declined to register it.

The arms of Jedburgh granted in `680 therefore show one of the famous Border riders armed with a Jedburgh or Jethart staff; the reason for the red field is not clear.

The Latin motto, the choice of which was left to the Lord Lyon, means "Stoutly and Well". The

The coronet was coloured reddish-brown as the "Proper" colour to represent the sand­stone of Jedburgh Abbey and the surrounding district.

seal of Jedburgh

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Arms (crest) of Jedburgh

The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1935


Community Council

Official blazon

Gules, on a horse saliant Argent, furnished Azure, a chevalier armed at all points, grasping in his right hand a kind of lance (called the Jedburgh Staff) Proper.

Above the Shield is placed a coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or; and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Strenue et Pro­ spere".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on February 1, 1979.

Arms (crest) of Jedburgh

The arms are the same as the burgh arms, but with a different crown.


Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature : Urquhart, 1974, 2001