Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Heraldry of the World |
|Latvian heraldry portal|
Region : Zemgale
Purpura laukā aļņa galva dabiskā krāsā, uz kakla valsts mazais ģerbonis (bez zvaigznēm).
The arms were granted on October 31, 1925.
Jelgava, then called Mitau in German, acquired its city rights and coat of arms, depicting the crowned stag's head on a red background in 1573.
The seal from the 18th century
The city, later called Mitava in Russian, used the same arms with slightly different design during the rule of Russian Empire (see below).
In 1925 the small shield was replaced by the National Arms. These arms were confirmed after the second independence, in 1998.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Latvias ģerboņi, 2008