|Heraldry of the World |
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
D'argent, au lion de sable armé et lampassé de gueules, accompagné en chef de deux tourcelles de même.
The arms were granted on September 15, 1841.
The arms are based on the 16th century seal of the town and are also mentioned in a 16th century manuscript. The arms are also shown in a roll of arms from 1666.
Seal from 1355
The tower appears already on the oldest known seal of the town, dating from 1211. The tower was most likely used to symbolise the fortifications of the town. The town historically belonged to the Dukes of Brabant, and the lion on the later seals and the arms is the black lion of Brabant. The tower was duplicated, but the arms still emphasise the importance of the fortifications for the Dukes of Brabant.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
The arms on a police badge (source)
Literature : Servais, 1955