|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The arms were officially adopted on June 9, 1937.
There are two explanations of the meaning of these arms; one stating that they are the arms of the Jordanów family, as in 1564, King Zygmunt August allowed the governor of Kraków, Spytek Wawrzyńcowi Jordanów of Zakliczyn to establish a town here. The Jordánow family was part of the Trąby family clan, which used three interlaced horns in their arms.
The other explanation is that the three horns are a symbol for the salt mine in the village (owned by the Wieliczka family). The horns were used to announce breaks and the end of the day.
The arms as shown in 1963