|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In geteiltem Schild oben in Silber ein goldgekröntes Königshaupt, unten in Rot ein sechsspeichiges silbernes Rad.
The arms of Königshofen (city since 1950) show a canting King's head in the upper part and the wheel of Mainz in the lower part. The great arms of the city show the shield held by two lions as supporters and on the helmet a crest of two buffalo horns with a letter K in between. The arms at such are known since 1550, the additions were added in 1898.
Königshofen originally was part of the State of Mainz, hence the wheel of Mainz in the arms. In the 17th century the city became part of the State of Würzburg. The arms changed accordingly, the lower part now showed a quartered shield, 1 and 4 the banner of Würzburg, 3 and 4 a rose. When the city returned to Mainz in 1730 the old arms were restored.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.