|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on May 30, 1991.
The right part of the arms show a wing, which was used on the crest of the family Von Cöthen, who were probably the founders of the castle in Köthen. The family was mentioned in Köthen in 1156 and became extinct in the 14th century.
The palm tree in the left part of the arms is the symbol of the Palmenorden, an association founded by Prince Ludwig von Anhalt-Köthen (1579-1650) in 1617. The association, officially the 'Fruchtbringenden Gesellschaft' was an association of nobles, scientists and poets and had as their main aim the 'Care of the German language'. It had its seat in Köthen and existed only until 1680.
|Follow us on||
(when sharing use #heraldryoftheworld when possible)
Click on the image to see how to support the site !
|Rate these arms / rate this page :
(no information about you is stored when voting, only the vote itself is stored)
Literature : Papendieck, H. : Die Wappen der Landkreise und kreisfreien Städte des Landes Sachsen-Anhalt. Landesarchiv Magdeburg, 1996.