|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on May 9, 1956.
The arms show the leopard of the Counts (later Princes) of Hohenlohe, who were a powerful noble family and who originated from the district. Later the district belonged mainly to the Bishops of Würzburg and Mainz. Thus the arms of the State of Mainz (wheel) and the State of Würzburg (points) are added.
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.