|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The new arms were granted on May 9, 1975.
The new arms show the lion of Hessen, the lower part shows an oak leaf, taken from the arms of Hofgeismar district, and a wolf's hook, as a canting symbol for the Wolfhagen district.
The previous arms were granted on April 2, 1952.
The upper part shows the lion of Hessen, as Kassel was the capital of the Counts of Hessen from the 14th century until 1866, and of the State of Hessen since 1945. The lower part shows three hills for the typical hilly terrain in the district, as well as symbols for the mining industry and the agriculture.
The arms on an cover
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Korn, 1984