|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Blau sechs, drei zu zwei zu eins gestellte silberne heraldische Lilien.
The arms are based on the legendary arms of the counts of Kastl and Sulzbach. The arms were used by the local monastery from around 1400 and were claimed to be the arms of the founders of the monastery (in 1103). Unfortunately there are no arms known of the family. In 1475 an Abbott's staff was added to the arms of the monastery. The arms were also used by the town from 1563 onwards, without the staff. The colours are known from later images, but probably date from the same time.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Deutsches Wappenmuseum
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.