|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were designed in 1955 and granted on May 26, 1959.
The Kehl district was founded in 1936. It comprised of 30 municipalities from the former Berzirksamt Kork and the Bezirksamt Rheinbischofsheim, which were united in 1881 with Kehl as the capital city. The majority of the villages and municipalities in the district belonged historically to the County of Hanau-Lichtenberg, four belonged to the Ortenau District (Vogtei), three belonged to the diocese of Strasbourg, one to the estate of Lahr and the city Kehl itself to Baden.
The first and fourth quarter therefore show the arms of Hanau, the second shows the arms of the city of Renchen, representing the Ortenau district, the third the arms of the city of Lichtenau, the capital of one of the districts of the County of Hanau-Lichtenberg, and the escutcheon shows a slightly changed version of the arms of Kehl city.
The great arms of the district also showed a mural crown and two black lion supporters, taken from the arms of the Counts of Lichtenberg, see below.
Literature : Zier and Kastner, 1961.