Kilkenny

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 16:10, 15 July 2022 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "===Origin/meaning=== " to "===Origin/meaning=== ")

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ireland.jpg
Irish heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of Ireland
Araltais in Éirinn
Ireland-flag.jpg

KILKENNY

County : Kilkenny

Arms (crest) of Kilkenny

Official blazon

Argent a castle of three towers, the centre one the tallest and topped with a spire, on each of the others a man issuant shooting an arrow from a bow, in the doorway in the centre a man bearing a cudget in the dexter hand all proper; on a mount in base vert a lion passant guardant gules.

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on January 22, 1976.

The design of these arms is taken from the Ancient Common Seal of Kilkenny which dates from the early 13th century when the town was granted a charter. The tower, man with club and the archers symbolise a vigilant fortress. The lion is the English lion.

Arms (crest) of Kilkenny

The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
Arms (crest) of Kilkenny

The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Arms (crest) of Kilkenny

The arms on the city hall (image from Facebook)

Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby, which takes a lot of time and effort (and costs).
If you like this initiative, please support the site:


Please visit our partners (click on image):


© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature : -

Ireland.jpg