|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Kilwinning became a Police Burgh in 1889 and had no official arms.
The above seal from 1892 shows a figure of St. Winning, an Irish missionary who is reputed to have come to the district about 715 and to have founded a church there. In 1140 a monastery was built by one of the architectural fraternities which had received Papal permission to call themselves Free Masons; thus Kilwinning became the cradle of Freemasonry in Scotland. The device on the seal is based on an old seal of the monastery and the Latin motto - "Sine Te Domine Cuncta Nil" (Without Thee, Lord, all things are nought) is part of an inscription which appeared on a house belonging to the monastery.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Porteous, 1906.