|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Azure, on a mount Proper, a castle triple-towered Argent, masoned Vert, windows, portcullis and fans Gules, the middle tower ensigned with a cross patee fitchee Or, between two mullets in fess of the Second.
(Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet) and in an Escrol under the same this Motto "Sanctus Leonardus De Kinghorn".
The arms were granted on July 3, 1929.
Kinghorn appears to have been a Royal Burgh of King William the Lion between 1165 and 1172 and was so recognised by King Alexander III in 1285.
The arms follow the device on the obverse of the Burgh seal of which a sixteenth century impression is on record. They show the Casde of Kinghorn, a favourite residence and hunting seat of early Scottish Kings, and specially connected with King Alexander III(1249-1286) who was accidentally killed near the town.
The blue and silver colours recall that the Casde was granted to Sir John Lyon of Glamis about 1375 as part of the dowry of his bride Jean, daughter of King Robert II, and that his descendant Patrick, 9th Lord Glamis, was created Earl of Kinghorne by King James VI in I606. The red windows show that it was a Royal castle and the green masoning seems to be for St. Leonard, patron saint of the Burgh, since green is a colour specially associated with him.
The Latin motto "St. Leonard of Kinghorn" comes from the reverse of the old seal referred to above and which showed St. Leonard giving a blessing.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Azure, on a mount Proper, a castle triple-towered Argent, windows, portcullis and fans Gules, the middle tower ensigned with a cross pattee fitchee Or, between two mullets in fess of the Second.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Sanctus Leonardus de Kinghorn".
The arms were granted on December 15, 1998.
These are the Burgh arms with a crown of a community council.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001