|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Kleve
Additions : 1969 Bimmen, Brienen, Donsbrüggen, Düffelward, Griethausen, Keeken, Kellen, Materborn, Reichswalde, Rindern, Salmorth, Warbeyen, Wardhausen
The present arms were officially granted in 1955 and did not change after the additions in 1969.
Kleve became a city in the 13th century. The arms show the old arms of the counts of Kleve, a red shield with a white escutcheon. The trefoils, or Kleeblättern, may be a canting symbol. The oldest great seals of the city show a castle or a city with between the towers the arms of the counts of Kleve (see the county arms).
The present arms also appear in 14th century contra-seals. From the 16th century the colours of the arms are known. In the 17th century often a knight was used as supporter and as a crest on the helmet a swan, with the small city arms hanging on a rope around his neck, was used, see below.
Former full arms of Kleve
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms in the Abadie albums
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Nagel, R. : Rheinisches Wappenbuch, Köln, 1986.; old image from Joachim Beeck, Meerbusch.