|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Silber ein goldener Abtstab, beheftet mit zwei schräggekreuzten schwarzen Knitteln.
Knittlingen became a city in the 14th century as a possession of the Maulbronn Abbey. In 1534 the city became part of Württemberg. The oldest known seal dates from around 1400 and already shows the composition as on the arms. The oldest use as arms dates from 1596. The two sticks/clubs (Knittel) are canting, the crosier stands for the Maulbronn Abbey. Even after the transfer to Württemberg the crosier remained in the arms.
After the merger with Freudenstein the arms were granted on August 27, 1976, with the crosier now behind the clubs.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms until 1976
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.