|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The arms were officially adopted on June 18, 1998.
The arms of the city (German name Freystadt in Niederschlesien) show a city gate and are based on the oldest seal of the city. This seal is known from 1310 and shows a castle or city (Stadt=city) with three towers. On both outer towers a guard blowing a horn can be seen. This is the seal on which the present arms are based. All seals dating from the late 15th century and later show only three towers, and no guards. In the 17th century a fence was added to the gate, and this composition was used as the arms of the city in the 19th and early 20th century.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms as shown in 1963
The arms as shown around 1970
The arms in 1994
Literature : Plenako and Wanag, 1994