Country : Belgium
The arms were granted on March 16, 1914 and completely revised on February 2, 1981.
The old arms show a squirrel holding an oak tree. The arms are identical to the arms of the former Kortenberg Abbey, founded in 1104 and around which the village developed. The meaning of the arms, however, is not known.
The new arms were granted in 1981 and show a quartered shield, where each quarter represents one of the former municipalities.
The first quarter shows the old Kortenberg arms, but the squirrel was replaced by a fox. The fox appeared on the 1612 seal of the abbey and was probably misinterpreted as a squirrel in 1914. The red trunk of the oak tree was also replaced by natural colour.
The third quarter represents Meerbeek, which had no own arms before. The only known seal of Meerbeek, from 1361, also shows three fleur-de-lys, probably of the same origin as those from Everberg, from the Lords of Rotselaar.
Literature: Servais, 1955
Belgium heraldry portal
This page is part of the Belgium heraldry portal
Heraldry of the World
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site