Krems an der Donau
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
|Austrian heraldry portal|
Ein rot-bezüngter goldener Doppeladler mit über den Häuptern schwebender Kaiserkrone auf schwarzem Grund.
The arms are those granted in 1461 to the city of Wien (Vienna) by Emperor Friedrich IV.
The eagle was, for political reasons, not described as the Imperial eagle, but as just a double-headed eagle. As in 1463 Vienna was lost for the Emperor during the war of succession in Austria, the Emperor retracted all privileges to the city, including the arms granted two years earlier. All rights of the city were transferred to the (double) city of Krems-Stein. Krems has used the arms ever since.
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms on a manhole cover