|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Bayern
The arms were granted on April 11, 1957 and confirmed on June 5, 1973.
The two lions are the lions of Bamberg and Orlamünde. The largest part of the district belonged since 1122 to the Bishops of Bamberg, whereas the Counts of Orlamünde owned the castle and estate of Lauenstein in the northern part of the district.
The lower part shows in the colours of the Cistercian abbey of Langheim, a wheel. The wheel symbolises the forestry and many small rivers in the district, and the many water mills therein.
The arms on the district border
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.