|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Gold ein roter Schrägbalken, begleitet oben von einem grünen Kleeblatt, unten von einem schrägliegenden schwarzen Doppelhaken.
Kuppenheim is first mentioned as a city in 1318. The city belonged to the County of Baden, later to Baden-Baden. The oldest known seal of the city is known since 1477 and shows the arms of Baden. The arms remain the same until the 19th century, when on the seals a quartered shield appeared, with the bend of Baden over the shield (see below). Thus only the symbols in the second and third quarter can be seen. These are a trefoil and a hook. The origin or meaning of these symbols is not known.
On April 20, 1900, the local council applied for better arms, but with the old symbols. The State Archives thus proposed the present arms, which were approved in April 1901.
The seals of Kuppenheim from 1477 and the 1850s.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Literature : Stadler, K., 1964-1971; Zier and Futterer, 1966.