|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The oldest seal of Kwidzyn (until 1945 Marienwerder) dates from the 14th century and already shows the crosier and mitre, no cross. All later seals, dating from the 15th century also use the same arms, but now with the cross.
The meaning of the arms is not clear, but are most likely symbols for the power of the Bishops. The colours have changed during the years, als also a small Madonna was sometimes used inside the crosier (see images below).
The present arms are a modernised version of the old arms.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms as shown in the 1890s
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms in the Abadie albums, 1930s
The arms as shown in the 1950s
The arms as shown in 1994
Literature : Hupp, O : Königreich Preussen. Wappen der Städte, Flecken und Dörfer. Reprint von 1896 und 1898. Kulturstiftung der deutschen Vertriebenen, Bonn, 1993, Plewako and Wanag, 1994