From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


State : Brandenburg
District (Kreis) : Ostprignitz-Ruppin
Additions : 1974 Gantikow; 2003 Bork-Lellichow (1957 Bork, Lellichow), Holzhausen, Kötzlin, Rehfeld-Berlitt (1973 Berlitt, Rehfeld), Teetz/Ganz

Wappen von Kyritz/Arms (crest) of Kyritz
Official blazon

In Silber eine rote Stadtmauer mit geschlossenem Tor und vier spitzbedachten, goldbeknauften Türmen mit offenen Fenstern; belegt mit einem grünen Schild mit goldener Lilie.

English blazon wanted


The arms were officially granted on July 6, 2005.

The arms are based on the oldest known seal of the city, dating from around 1300. The arms show a city wall and 4 towers, with the small shield of the Lords of Plotho, to which the city belonged in the 13th century. The present arms show the small shield in historical colours (see also Wusterhausen).

In the 17th-19th century the arms were also often shown as only a fleur-de-lis, without the castle. They were shown as such by Hupp in the late 19th century, in the colours gold and blue, see below.

During the DDR times, the fleur-de-lis was shown as golden on a green field like in the present arms. In the late 1990s the town used the arms in red, see below. In 2004 the historical arms were restored.

Wappen von Kyritz

The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Wappen von Kyritz

The arms in the 1980s
Wappen von Kyritz

Postal cancellation 1987
Wappen von Kyritz

The arms in the late 1990s

This page is part of the
German heraldry portal


German heraldry:


Selected collector's items from Germany:

Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:

© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Ralf Hartemink arms.jpg

Literature: Bensing et al., 1984; 1990s image from the Kyritz council (approx 2000).