|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The old (left) arms were granted on March 9, 1935.
The arms show a brook running through the hills, and should indicate the old name of the city of Lübbecke, Hlid beki, or later Ort am Hangback (beki = Bach = brook). The colours of the arms are taken from the colours of the county Ravensberg and State of Minden. The composition of the arms was not very popular and a change of arms was considered.
The new arms were granted in 1968.
The new arms still show the red hill, but now with two crossed keys, the symbol of St. Peter, the arms of the Bishops of Minden. The tower symbolises the Limberg tower, once one of the main castles in the district.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.