|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on May 30, 1939.
The main part of the arms shows the red bar in gold, the arms of the State and Bishops of Münster. From 1509-1802 the district belonged to the State of Münster. The balls in the upper part of the arms are derived from the arms of the Lords of Davensberg, who, in the 14th century, held several estates in the district. The bell is derived from the arms of the city of Lüdinghausen.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.