Lanarkshire

From Heraldry of the World
Revision as of 17:30, 13 October 2020 by Knorrepoes (talk | contribs) (Text replacement - "50 px|link=United KingdomCategory:Scotland" to "Category:Scotland")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 9,568
  • Total images in the British section : 4,214

LANARKSHIRE (County Council)

Incorporated into : 1975 Strathclyde (abolished 1996)

Arms (crest) of Lanarkshire

Official blazon

Parted per chevron Gules and Argent, two cinquefoils pierced in chief, and a man's heart in base counter­ changed.

Above the Shield is placed an Esquire's Helmet with a Mantling Gules doubled Argent, and on a Wreath of the proper Liveries is set for Crest a demi-eagle displayed with two heads Sable, beaked Gules, and in an Escrol over the same this Motto "Vigilantia".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on December 24, 1886.

The arms show two cinquefoils, taken from the arms of the Clam Hamilton, one of the most prominent families in the county. The heart is taken from the arms of another important family, the Clan Douglas. The heart is the heart of Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland, who wanted his heart to be buried in the Holy Land. This mission was entrusted to Sir James Douglas in 1330. Sir John died near Spain and the heart was returned to Scotland to be buried in Melrose Abbey. Ever since the heart is part of the Douglas arms.


Follow us on
Facebook.jpg Instagram.png
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
Mail.png
Contact us
Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby.
If you like this initiative, please support the site:

Donate.jpg




Ebay.png
eBay shop
Payhip.jpg
Download shop

Literature : PUnquhart, 1974