|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In geteiltem Schild oben in Schwarz ein schreitender goldener Löwe, unten von Gold und Schwarz geschacht.
The arms were officially granted on January 17, 1979.
The lion is taken from the arms of the Lords of Langenburg, who built the local castle, but they became already extinct in 1600. Even though no seals exist of the town until 1600, the oldest seals all show the lion.
In the late 17th century the diamonds appear as a typical symbol for the city, but these were already in the 17th century replaced by a letter L.
The arms on an 1877 poster
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
In 1979 the arms were slightly changed and are more in agreement with the historical seals. The meaning of the diamonds is not known.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.