|Heraldry of the World |
|Polish heraldry portal|
Herbarz Miast Polskich
The arms were officially adopted on June 18, 1998.
The arms of the town show a lion coming from a hill. The lion may be canting (Löwe in German, Leo in Latin, the oldest seals show the name as Leben, or Leoben).
The 15th century seals show the above image, whereas newer seals show only the lion, as did Hupp in the early 20th century.
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms as shown around 1970
Literature : Plenako and Wanag, 1994