|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Paderborn (until 1974 Büren)
Additions : 1975 Asseln, Atteln, Blankenrode, Dalheim, Ebbinghausen, Grundsteinheim, Hakenberg, Henglarn, Herbram, Holtheim, Husen, Iggenhausen, Kleinenberg
In Blau über einem kleeblattförmigen Torbogen, darin eine silberne heraldische Lilie, ein breiter silberner Turm mit rotem Spitzdach und silbernen rotgedeckten Ecktürmchen; beiderseits eine ansteigende silberne Zinnmauer, überragt von je einem silbernen niedrigeren Zinnenturm.
The new arms were granted on July 19, 1976. After the merger with several other municipalities the colour and the composition of the arms were slightly changed. The red colour was replaced by the blue from Kleinenberg and the small cross was replaced by the fleur-de-lis as a symbol for St. Mary, taken from the oldest seal.
The old arms are based on the oldest known seal of the city, which dates from 1383. The seal showed a city gate, but in the gate there was the image of the St. Mary with child. Later the cross of the State of Paderborn, to which the city belonged, replaced the St. Mary.
The arms were officially granted on July 6, 1908 by Emperor Wilhelm II, in the colours of Paderborn.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.