|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In Rot schräggekreuzt eine goldene Schifferstange und ein goldenes Ruder, darüber schwebend eine goldene Pflugschar.
The arms were granted on September 25, 1969.
The oldest seal of the village is known since 1562 and shows three saints behind a small shield with the boatman's tools and the plough iron, see image below.
The seal from 1562
The tools indicate the main economic activities in the village at the time, agriculture and fisheries. The saints were probably the patron saints of the local village. The seal has been used until 1811. The arms of the village were in 1969 based on this seal, with the omission of the saints and with the addition of the colours of the State of Baden.
In the 19th century the village adopted a seal with a shield with the historical village symbol; a kind of anvil to stamp the taxes, see below. This seal was used during the whole 19th century and in 1895 the State Archives proposed this symbol as arms for the village in the colours of Baden. Unfortunately, the anvil was described as a (horse shoe) nail. As the village council did not accept this proposal, due to the non-historical nail, these arms were never adopted and granted.
The early 20th century seal
Literature : John et al., 1990