|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
District (Kreis) : Soest (until 1975 Lippstadt)
Additions : 1975 Benninghausen, Bökenförde, Cappel, Dedinghausen, Eickelborn, Ermsinghausen (partly), Esbeck, Garfeln, Hellinghausen, Herringhausen, Hörste (Lippstadt), Liesborn (partly), Lipperode, Lohe, Overhagen, Rebbeke, Rixbeck
Other boroughs (never been own municipality): Lipperbruch
The arms were granted on June 10, 1938 and continued after the merger with the other municipalities.
The arms are canting; the rose of the counts of Lippe above a city (Stadt).
Lippstadt became a city at the end of the 12th century and is the oldest city in Westfalen. The city rights were granted by Bernard II zur Lippe. The arms of the Lippe family have always been a (heraldic) rose. The rose above a city already appears on the first seals of the city, dating from the early 13th century.
Seal of Lippstadt from 1294.
With an exception from 1911-1938 the arms have never changed. In this short period the city walls were omitted and only the rose was used as the arms of the city, see image below. This was according to the small seal of the city dating from 1292. In 1938 the arms were restored.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms on a 1960s matchox label