|Heraldry of the World|
|New Zealand heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of New Zealand
Additions : 1989 Wainuiomata District Council, Petone Borough Council, Eastbourne Borough Council
Arms : Argent on Water in base Barry Wavy a Barquentine in full sail proper, flying at the fore-mast a Flag Azure, thereon a representation of the constellation of the Southern Cross Or; on a Chief Vert a Cog wheel between two Garbs Gold, over all a Canton Argent charged with a Chevron
between three Fleurs de lys Sable.
Crest: A Tui Bird holding in the beak a spring of Kowhai flowered proper.
Supporters: On the dexter side the figure of a Farmer supporting with the interior Hand a long-handled Shovel resting his exterior hand on a Sheep Dog sejant, and on the sinister side the figure of a Maori Warrior vested proper, supporting with the interior Hand a long Spear also proper.
The ship represents the coming of the early settlers to the Hutt Valley. The garbs of wheat denote agriculture as the first occupation carried on in the area now occupied by the City, and the cogwheel represents present day industrial growth. On the Chief is superimposed a canton with the arms of Sir William Hutt, K.C.B. (1801-1882), a Member of Parliament in England and a Director of the New Zealand Company, from whom the City takes its name.
The supporters represent the early settler and the Maori whom he encountered on his arrival here.
The arms in the town (source)
Literature : Information obtained from information leaflet