|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Even though Mühlhausen had its own council in the early 15th century, the council did not have its own seals until the 18th century. It showed the arms of the Lords of Palm, the last owners of the local castle. In 1805 Mühlhausen became part of Württemberg, and soon after the above arms came into use. The right half shows three mill-irons, taken from the arms of Reinhard van Mühlhausen, in opposite colours. Reinhard von Mühlhausen was the founder of the local chapel. The meaning or origin of the left half is not clear. As Mühlhausen was part of the Cannstatt district, and the colours are the same as of Bad Cannstatt, it may be that this field symbolises the bond to Cannstatt.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Literature : Bardua, 1973.