|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldiek van de wereld
Armorial du Monde
|Belgian heraldry portal|
Armorial de Belgique
D'or au lion de sable.
The arms were granted on February 28, 1855.
The arms show a black lion, which is derived from the oldest known seal of the town, dating from 1570. The origin or meaning of the lion is not known. It is likely the lion of Namur, but the village was a possession of the State of Liège at the time.
In the 17th century the arms for Marienbourg were shown as St.Mary with child, a canting element. And in 1774 a red shield with the letters MB was once used as the symbol for the town.
The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Heraldry of the World is a private site and maintained as a hobby, which takes a lot of time and effort (and costs).
If you like this initiative, please support the site:
Please visit our partners (click on image):
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature : Servais, 1955