|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1953.
The arms show the important railway bridge over the river Rhine, as well as the letter S derived from the old village seals.
In the 18th century the village, then named Pfortz, used a seal with the letter S and an angel and leaves (above left). The S is most likely the old village sign, whose origin is not known.
In the 19th century a pontoon-bridge was built for a railway connecting both banks of the Rhine. The bridge was an initiative of King Maximilian II of Pfalz-Bayern and the villages was renamed in 1938 after the King. The colours of the arms were also derived from the colours of the arms of Bayern.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.